July updates

It’s hard to imagine that it’s already August!

We’ve been busy with porch framing, painting the siding, sealing the deck, insulating water pipes and framing the last interior wall for the ASHP.

We still have a long way to go with the siding, but we’re getting a jump on the second coat of stain on the weekends. The Cabot acrylic stain really goes on well and the color (Thicket) looks great.

Warren and crew have completed the porch framing and deck, and about about a third of the ceiling v-groove. We sealed the edges of the porch deck this weekend. Bernie thinks we built the porch just for her. (The sealer is really to protect the deck from her drool.)

We’ve finished insulating most of the plumbing pipes in the 2nd floor. There is one area where the pipes are too close together to use individual foam wraps, so we’re going to try spray foam.

And finally the last interior wall. The refrigerant copper tubing for the interior unit of the ASHP can’t be bent in a tight radius, so we built a double stud wall at the stair to allow the tubing to bend more graciously. There is only a gap of an inch between the two walls. The tubing goes diagonally down to the lower right corner then through the first landing and out the exterior wall. The condensate drain also goes through this double wall. It passes through the second landing into the pantry to drain in the washer / dryer drain.

August promises to be even busier.

2 Responses to “July updates”


  1. 1 Jim Merrithew 2-August-2011 at 1:48 pm

    Hello Larry,

    It is great to see that you are making such good progress.

    Will you be colour coding your pipes so you can identify each of them if you ever need service?

    In the pictures of the stairwell, what is the large foil wrapped hose/pipe/duct for? -Jim

    • 2 Larry 2-August-2011 at 2:53 pm

      Thanks Jim,

      Hadn’t thought about color coding the pipes. Hoping the digital photos will still be around if/when service is required.

      Re: the large foil wrapped duct in the stairwell. That is the stale air duct exiting the ventilator to the outside. I think I mentioned it in the ventilation post, “ERV installed“. Here is a better photo. We’re going to frame around these, they won’t be exposed. Still trying to determine the best way to seal them to the interior side of the wall. Worth a future post.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Latest Uphill Tweets

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 154 other followers

Check out our farm blog!


%d bloggers like this: